Tuesday, October 21, 2008

STOMP

    Nike is very well known for its brilliant ad campaign developed by the almighty Wieden + Kennedy. My favorite Nike commercial of all time is actually one that we watched in class. Nike's brand personality has an affect on consumers that many brands could only dream of. Regardless of the fact that I am void of motor-skills, the rhythm in this commercial completely prohibits me from staying still, I have to move my limbs. I have to get up and dance or exercise or go and buy all the Nike products that I can! 

When I saw this commercial again in class I remembered why I fell in love with it in the first place, the intertextuality from STOMP. 

     I loved the concept of STOMP since the first time I saw the HBO Special titled STOMP OUT LOUD . STOMP is described as a combination of percussion, movement and visual comedy. These performances are alive with rhythm and emotion. The Nike spot takes advantage of capturing the same ambience, then adds it to its already captivating brand personality. There are a few spots that actually feature STOMP in their commercials such as Coca-Cola's Ice Pick (featured below), several Target spots, Toyota in Japan and Seat in Europe. All of these ads are so alluring because of the way our minds react to the mnemonic device of rhythm. 


Nike



STOMP



Coca-Cola's Ice Pick with STOMP

No comments: