Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Multiple Intelligences

I definitely have all of them. Hahhahahahah...ahhhh just kidding. My most preferred routes for problem solving and understanding would be linguistic, interpersonal, and spatial.

I love language. I took French in middle school for 3 years, then Spanish throughout high school and almost two semesters of college, and I am also currently learning Polish from my boyfriend. I find it so much easier to learn from a native speaker than someone who learned it from a book. We speak it as much as possible so I can practice. I don't know why, I just get some sort of thrill from the way the different sounds form on my tongue. It's exhilarating to know that no one else knows what you are saying. I guess it also makes me feel like I am included in the culture. I wouldn't say that I pick up languages with ease, it takes me a lot of work but I really enjoy it. My Uncle's boyfriend is fluent in 7 languages, so he kinda set the bar. 

Languages I've promised myself I will learn:
1. Polish (not doin so hot at the moment)
2. Irish Gaelic (or at least get the amazing accent down)
3. Arabic (yea...that's right...Arabic)

I thoroughly enjoy people. I am very interpersonal. I feel like I walk away with something, some new knowledge with every conversation I have. I learn something from everyone I meet. Especially kids. Kids are the key to our world. If you watch a child's behavior, ideas and values change as he/or she grows up your perspective of adults will change immensely. You can take one experience a child has and judging by the way they react to it, and the way their parents react to it and predict how it will still affect them decades later. 

Spatial. I'm a visual learner. To study I have to completely rewrite my notes, onto notecards in question and answer form. Merely be rewriting them and seeing them in another place I am able to learn the information easily. I also like to express myself through photography. There are things that you can express in a picture that are impossible to express in any other form. 


I just took a Multiple Intelligences Test Online- I thought the most interesting thing about the test is that they offered it in 6 languages, English, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Somali and Urdu. I wonder if it is more likely for native Spanish and French speakers to also speak English or if they may be more likely to able to guess the meanings because all 3 are Latin based Languages? Hmmmmm. That's cool that they put the other languages on the site. I've never heard of Urdu-I need to look that one up. 

This Test tagged me as Interpersonal (People Smart), Intrapersonal (Myself Smart), Kinaesthetic (Body Smart), Naturalistic (Nature Smart), Linguistic (Word Smart), Visual/Spatial (Picture Smart), then unsurprisingly last Musical (Music Smart)

It added Naturalistic- one Intelligence that was not on Howard Gardner's list, but obviously some feel it is still important. 

The link for the site where I tested my intelligences:

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks3/ict/multiple_int/questions/choose_lang.cfm

No comments: