Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Hard Out There for a Chimp


     No, that's not my headline. But it made me chuckle, so I borrowed it. Wait...I want to go into Advertising...Yes that is my headline, I am extremely funny and quick witted--and looking for an internship- hint, hint, nudge, nudge. 

...Segway...

     I never thought I would want to be like a monkey, until I read about Cheeta. This furry maverick has accomplished feats that many humans have not. Not only was Cheeta the star of the original Tarzan but he has his own book titled "Me Cheeta"; was also recently declared the oldest nonhuman primate in the book of Guinness World Records at age 76! 
Being retired for a little over a half century, Cheeta has had a decent amount of time on his hands. Acting and staying alive are only two among his smorgasbord of talents. "Cheeta can churn out 15 paintings in a sitting. The nontoxic paint also makes a nice snack." says his trainer Dan Westfall. These "ape-stract" paintings are being sold online for $125 a piece, and half the proceeds are going to help primates around the world. Cheeta also likes to watch TV, read, listen to the radio, sleeps late and eats at McDonalds. 
I am inspired that a monkey can have accomplished so much. If evolution is truly how we came to be, I'm flattered that we are considered more intelligent beings. If Cheeta can be creative, no one should ever think that they can't. 

No comments: