Monday, November 17, 2008

Where is the line?

     I appreciate some shockvertising. However, there is a line that should not be crossed. This ad for example at a public pool goes too far. The Watch Around Water campaign is run in Western Australia in public pools in order to increase awareness of drownings. I think it is great that they are working toward the education of the public about such a serious issue, but I think their approach would have been put to better use elsewhere. I think having this image on the floor of a public pool will definitely deter people from even wanting to go. I have a friend whose 3 year old brother drowned in her pool when she and I were in middle school and I know that she would be extremely disturbed if she saw this. I think this ad would have a better effect if it was shown on a street corner, maybe from a different angle so that it would still make sense. Or even in a parenting magazine. It is one thing to have this in a place where adults can see it, and it is another thing to have it in plain view of children. I can not imagine swimming over this ad in a pool, especially as a child. An image like this can cause all kinds of issues with someone who is too young to understand and make it even harder to accept. Someone definitely needed to reevaluate before putting this out in public. 

No comments: