Friday, November 14, 2008

Cemeteries


I went to go visit my family in Nashville, Tennessee and I found this beautiful old graveyard. It was on the side of the road accompanied by at least 100 acres, a broken down farm house and a decaying barn. I jumped at the chance, pulled over and trespassed. This cemetery consisted of about 15 to 20 graves. I only had a few minutes for fear of getting shot under the protection of trespassing laws in Tennessee, but I was able to get a few shots in! The graveyard was full of an entire family. The last person to die and be buried in this cemetery is pictured above on the right. They died in 1850. I wish I knew more about this family. I wonder if the people who own currently own the land are related in any way. I have already made up my own romantic story about their history, so I might not want to ask, in fear of finding something ordinary. 
               So many people are frightened of cemeteries. I love them. No, no sadism here. I think of cemeteries as most people do parks. I find such peace there. I think I find such an odd atmosphere tranquil because, as a Christian, I have such a strong belief in afterlife. To me cemeteries are literally resting places for our bodies and nothing else. Our souls are gone. They are no longer parts of this world. At the same time I do not find comfort in going to wakes. Walking up to a person's body who is no longer on earth does not make any since to me. I think that is just our shallow way of holding onto how we perceived that person. But at the same time I have never seen a dead body look like the person did when they were alive and united with their soul, which leads me to view it as a moot point. So why the fear of cemeteries? 

No comments: