Sunday, September 28, 2008

Foreign Films

     I have never been very into foreign films. I guess I was just never introduced to any decent ones. This is all up until I saw two that completely changed my point of view. Les Choristes (The Chorus) and Der Untergang (The Downfall) are two of the best movies I've ever seen.
     Les Choristes is a French film about a teacher who is new to an all boys boarding school. The new teacher, Clement Mathieu, helps the troubled boys by turning them into a choir. (I know what you are thinking, Sister Act II, but this movie is 1,000 times better and the choir director in Les Choristes has eyebrows.) There is one boy in the film who causes an obscene amount of trouble and never speaks to anyone. This boy, Jean-Baptiste Maunier has the most amazing voice I have ever heard. I purchased the soundtrack immediately- Thank God for iTunes. 
     Der Untergang is an account of the last three days of Adolf Hitler's life. The story is retold by Traudl Junge, Hitler's secretary. This biography is extremely hard to watch, but at the same time it is very interesting to see the chaos that ensued as the Nazi Regime's defeat became inevitable. It is very surreal to witness a woman who served Hitler because she thought it was the greatest honor and slowly realized that the man she has devoted her life to serving, is a mass murder. The interview with Traudl Junge is one of a kind.

Go Rent These Now!!!
Here are some clips to get you interested...or just distract you from studying...either way ENJOY:

Les Choristes



Der Untergang

No comments: